Saturday, May 21, 2005

"At least she didn't suffer"

Yes, it was quick, my rejection from 32poems. Which I really appreciate. No, not sarcasm ... if I'm going to be rejected, that's my preferred method. And it serves me right, trying to slide in at the end of their submissions period. This was not deliberate, things just sort of slipped away from me and it happened like that. (Bad procrastinator! Bad!) At least I got "try again" ink; can't be bad. Now for the mags that read year-round ... talley ho!

If you had to choose between reading poetry and listening to music (both vocal and instrumental) for the rest of your life, which would you choose?

That just popped into my head today ... I would choose music, which makes me feel like a fraud, poetically-speaking. And you?

8 Comments:

Blogger gina said...

Impossible ultimatum. I listen to music while reading and writing poetry. Impossible!

Gina

6:23 AM  
Blogger C. Dale said...

I LOVE music, but I cannot imagine a life without poetry at all. So, sad as it would be, I would have to give up music. This from someone about to marry a scientist/composer! I am selfish like that.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Kay Day said...

I'd opt for keeping poetry. I can hear music there if I listen closely enough. Interesting question.--best, Kay Day

12:09 PM  
Blogger Emily Lloyd said...

I'd choose music, too. I'd like to say "I can hear poetry there if I listen closely enough"--but that's only rarely the case. So often I listen to music and think, ah! if only I could do this in poetry! I haven't given up hope that I (or others) can (and some have). Faced with the choice, though--music, no hesitation.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Anne Haines said...

Music has been an essential part of my life since I was born -- poetry, since I was about 10 or 12. I guess I'd have to choose music. But then maybe I could reinvent poetry when nobody was looking. ;)

5:32 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I believe Suzanne called this "the question that should never be asked". She has a point. But I'm glad I'm not the only 'traitor'.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Traitor?! No, I just meant it as a 'bite your tongue, young lady--don't give the universe any ideas.' because I need both--I could never, ever, choose. It's a scary question.

2:29 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

I'd have to keep music too. I don't think that makes us poetic frauds. If we'd keep television instead of poetry, then we're frauds.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home