Thursday, May 19, 2005

Ready for the Storm

Wonderful stormy weather the last couple days; mercurial. Even some thunder and lightning, which we don't get enough 'round these parts. I drove over Cougar Mountain with all my windows and sunroof open in that anticipatory stage right before a storm breaks, when the wind blows right through the car and the sky is dark, darker. Second best thing to being outside in it.

Why don't people drive with their windows down more? Ok, I get why on stormy days, but what about beautiful ones? I've been observing lately, on perfect spring days ... very few people drive with their windows down, or even their sunroofs open. From my limited data sample (limited because of trying not to swerve into oncoming traffic or hit the stopped car in front of me), the nicer the car, the less likely the window will be down. Sigh. They're missing a lot. I know your hair gets messed up, but it's a small price to pay for driving "au natural", as it were, as opposed to "immured in a climate-controlled metal box".

Word I don't hear enough: circumlocution

I like Instant Messaging better than email. It's more dynamic; almost as good as an actual conversation. And it's fun when things get temporally derailed, with replies showing up on your screen addressing what you said one or two entries ago, circling back and forward. I'd like to try to reproduce that effect in a poem, a sort of disordered call-and-response, where no statements fall where they should, yet somehow still speak to each other.

Watch out, Sith, here we come, well-armed with buttered popcorn!

3 Comments:

Blogger HappySam said...

I can't wait woooo,
do you think this guy could repel the dark side
http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~poubae

10:19 AM  
Blogger A. D. said...

I think many have become soooo dependent on the comfort of air-conditioning--sweat being so unbearable and all. That or their zomb-iPods are plugged into their car stereo and they're complacently shutting out the rest of the world in order to pay closer attention to the ludicrous shuffling of musical genres.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Emily Lloyd said...

Agreed--I drive with my window down even when it's storming or snowing...I would fly with my window down if I could. My dislike of flying has nothing to do with heights or potential crashes, everything to do with being in a closed box with air that doesn't smell like anything.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home