Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Honeysuckle That Ate Temescal Street


My irrationally-exuberant Lonicera halliana. As you can see, it's impeding traffic on the front walk, but it's covered in buds ... I absolutely cannot bear to cut any of it back. So we've been learning to walk sideways, carrying groceries, guitar cases, what have you.

The title derives from a family saying ... I was born in Long Beach, CA, on Temescal Street. I can't even remember what flora it was that threatened to take over there, but now whenever anything outgrows itself, it's "the ___________ that ate Temescal Street". Sort of like "The Mother of All ___________", without the unfortunate geo-political associations.

The fragrance of honeysuckle is swoonable, although they make unsatisfying cut flowers, what with the sequential bloom. I love how the blossoms open white, then fade through parchment to honey. I was reading last night about how Lantana blossoms (a favored butterfly food source) change from yellow to orange to red. This seems to be associated with the draining of nectar, a caveat emptor to the butterflies so they don't waste their time on empty blossoms and become disenchanted with the plant. I wonder if something similar is going on with the honeysuckle.

5 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Trellis! That's what you need--honeysuckle climbs. :-)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I know ... it's on a little trellis already, but needs a much heftier one. I want to train it up that pole, but it got away from me before I could make that happen this spring. The procrastinator's curse.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

I don't know about it eating Temescal Street, but it sure appears to have devoured the trellis. ;-)

7:36 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

I also adore the smell of honeysuckle. I think it's my favorite floral scent. With oleander, lilies, and irises, they're my favorite flowers.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yes, the trellis feels quite ... inadequate.

Charles, I had to look up oleander. It looks like it smells good, if that makes sense. All the best flowers are poisonous.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home