Monday, May 09, 2005

Two Horses

Several weeks ago, an old friend of Scott's from his childhood got back in touch with him. Long story short, we are now a trio of a composer, a poet, and a lyricist who can pick a melodic line out of anything. Scott's always composed, and I've written, but we needed that bridge, somehow. So the last few weeks have been a creative rush -- I've got so many things, "regular" poems and song lyrics, up in the air that I hardly know where north is. I'm just dipping my toe in this lyrics pond ... it seems to demand a slightly different emphasis than I would usually employ ... a little more tell, little less show. I've been immersing myself in lyricists I admire -- Adam Duritz & Natalie Merchant, among others, but I'm still trying to figure out the balance. Anybody else out there do some songsmithing on the side?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Isn't Mueske over at The World Accpording to Ess into this?

9:49 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

I'm writng an opera, does that count?

9:57 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

The Page has a link to an interesting article saying new research shows that "John Donne was the Cole Porter of his day." And thanks, Jennifer, for the link to The Page here on your blog. I'd never seen this and it's got a lot of interesting stuff!

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home