Thursday, November 10, 2005

Because I should be raking leaves ....

.... I decided I'd rather venture back into the blog pond, instead. This seemed *marginally* more productive than looking at shoes on eBay. Although I'm sure some would beg to differ.

Not much in the way of dramatic change around here. Except that Jeannine Hall Gailey has conjured up a new group for the dissection and discussion of poetry, our own and others. And the inevitable accompanying gossip about who slept with who at which conference, who will never get published by which mag. as opposed to who always will (more scandal), etc. I think it will be great to be able to interact with *live* (as opposed to "virtual", not as opposed to "dead" -- although that's true too) poets for a change. Thank for all your work on this, Jeannine! Sometimes I need that whip of a monthly deadline to get anything productive done.

Especially in November. It seems to get tougher every year -- as the light levels drop, there's a giant sucking sound as all my energy disappears down the storm drain with the rest of the seasonal debris. I'm looking for a giant clear plastic umbrella so I can sit outside in the rain, get my lux and still stay reasonably dry. You would think some enterprising Northwesterner would see a market niche for an enormous clear plastic *patio* umbrella on a stand, but apparently such a thing does not exist ...

Interesting social commotion in the field this morning. I didn't see what started it, but I happened to glance out just as two crows begin to seriously mix it up. The one had the other over on his back and started pecking. Within (no exaggeration) five seconds, seven other crows swooped in from all points of the compass to gather close around the combatants. You could almost hear, "Fight! Fight! Fight!" The resemblance to the same scenario in the schoolyard or outside a bar was uncanny. Were the others there out of the same morbid curiosity that drives humans, or did they arrive to break it up? Who knows ... but even trying to avoid anthropomorphism, it was clear that they had some stake in the matter. As soon as the crowd gathered, the fight broke up; within 10 seconds, all the crows begin to drift off in separate directions .... obviously having more important things to do.

Which, sadly, brings me back to the leaves ....

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeannine said...

I promise that's more poetry gossip than I usually hear in a year :) I pledge to have a more "serious" poetry meeting next time! Well, at least a little more serious...

11:40 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey, did I say I was complaining? Dirt like that, you usually have to pay to hear (grin).

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home