Friday, February 25, 2005

Richard Hugo's Landscapes for Jenni & C. Dale

.

Landscapes


If I painted, I'd paint landscapes. In museums
I stop often at van Ruysdael, and the wind he painted
high in European oaks gives license to my style.
I move the barn two feet. I curve the hill down
more dramatic. I put a woman on the hill against
the light, calling me to dinner. The wind I paint
is low and runs the grass down dancing to the sea.

In no time I have aged the barn stark gray.
Obviously, my cows hate no one. My wife
across the field stays carved out solid on the sky.
My tossed kiss stings her through the waves of heat
plowed dirt gives off in August. My tossed worm
drifts beneath the cutbank where I know trout wait.
As long as wind is pouring, my paint keeps farming green.

When wind stops, men come smiling with the mortgage.
They send me the eviction notice, postage due.
My cows are thin and failing. My deaf wife snarls
and claws the chair. The creek turns putrid.
I said fifty years moss on the roof is lovely.
It rots the roof. Oaks ache but cannot stir.
I call van Ruysdael from my knees on the museum floor.

In uniforms like yours you'll never understand.
Why these questions? The bank was wrong. The farm
is really mine. Even now along these pale green halls
I hear van Ruysdael's wind. Please know I rearranged things
only slightly, barn and hill. This is real: the home
that warps in August and the man inside who sold it
long ago, forgot he made the deal and will not move.

.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I like this one because he uses humor--

"Obviously, my cows hate no one."

There are not enough funny poems. Probably one of the reasons I like B Collins is for is humor. Life isn't always depressing! Sometimes, it's very, very funny!

Thanks for posting this. Have a great day!

jenni

7:18 AM  
Blogger C. Dale said...

You know, I had forgotten this poem. Thanks for reminding me.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home