Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Green Dragon Reclining In Black Ink

I love the names of Chinese tree peonies. A sampling:

Black Dragon Holding Blossom
Azure Clouds Floating Around The Sun
Violet Butterfly Facing Wind
Snow Encircling Pure Heart
Coiled Dragon In The Mist
Flying Swallow In A Red Dress
Fire Refining Jasper
Emerald Hairpin On Gui Fei
(I think this may be the same Gui Fei as in Victoria Chang's poem)
Icicle Over Red Stone
Swan Sleeping In Snow
Silver Fish Teaching Green Pearls
Morning Dew On A Jade Platter
White Screen Reflects A Blue Jewel

--and lest you think all the names are high-flown like this, may I present:

Tipsy Imperial Concubine

I was reminded of these by an email I received the other day ... Sunshine Farm and Gardens is running a naming contest for double hellebores here. If they choose your name, you get a free 4-inch pot of the plant in question -- a great deal, considering what nurseries usually charge for double hellebores. And they're gorgeous. So have at it, poets.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Jennifer:
I just love these. They make a found poem.
Peter

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home