Thursday, February 03, 2005

Cutting Sonnet

.


Knowing The Score


The t.v. says the stone age has returned.
This land has nothing left to give but lives.
All other wealth is stolen, bombed, or burned
but papaver somniferom, which thrives
on rocks and drought. The farmers say they sell
this crimson crop to keep their children fed.
The poppy petals drop and seed pods swell;
just three hot months, then fields are harvested.
Their curved blades slice from base to crown, the sap
bleeds out and darkens in the air. I won't
find out what happens next because your nap
is done. The nurse tries to prepare me: Don't
be shocked; he found a knife again.
I shrug.
You need to cut your flesh to get the drug.


.

5 Comments:

Blogger son rivers said...

Nice!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hey Jennifer:
Nice sonnet. The ending is really surprising. And I love how it brings in the world, current political events.
Peter

6:57 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

PS:
. . . and how the word "score" also means "to cut." Nice.
Peter

6:58 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks, Greg (nice to meet you) and Peter -- glad you liked it, and the title, which seemed quite apposite. I can see the flaws, of course (turn in wrong place, some ropey enjambment), but it feels done, you know? And I said what I wanted to -- which I know is out of fashion, but I was never fashionable.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home