Saturday, January 01, 2005

Anniversary

Yesterday was my mom & dad's 40th anniversary. What with the dark time of year and levels of death and destruction both far away and near to us, no one was in the mood for a big shindig -- that's coming in the spring, when celebration arises naturally. But yesterday was the actual day, so we curled up on their couch and drank wine and burnt our tongues on five-star hot chili chocolate truffles, reminisced and listened to Scott play guitar.

Much of the good in my marriage has grown from observing theirs. They never yelled, ever ... I don't think I even realized they disagreed until I was a teenager. They spent lots of time together, but felt free to pursue their own interests. This would especially be my dad, who over the years has fanatically pursued a wide selection of skills, including sailing, photography, boat building, kite flying, wine making, playing the recorder and making gourmet cheesecakes (I miss that phase). My mom was cool with it all -- her things are gardening and baseball. Of course there have been rough spots, but through it all they have always made each other laugh, and hugged and kissed like newlyweds. They have been blessed, and so have I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home